ENQUIRE NOW
Huili Voices
Homepage Community Huili Voices

Why choose Huili Nursery - what makes us different?

01 Mar 2021

Rachel Chadwick

Director of Admissions

Every nursery has its own unique environment, teaching styles and philosophies, so doing your research and creating a short list of preferred nurseries for your child takes time but is the crucial first stage in your child’s long educational journey.  As an admissions professional I encourage parents to spend time carefully researching which nurseries or schools will:

- be the right fit for your child’s academic, social and emotional needs;

- deliver the right curriculum that fits with your family’s long-term education plan;

- hold values which align with those held by your family. 

Who are we at Huili Nursery, what makes us different and why choose us?  It is not possible to answer those questions neatly and succinctly within this article – there is simply too much to tell and it is a complex, personal choice that I and the admissions team are here only to facilitate.  Today, I would like to share my top tips to aid your research, help you search wisely and prepare well:

100Days_N22_medium.jpg

1. Get to know what nursery options are out there.  

At Huili Nursery, I recommend you follow our WeChat account and peruse our extensive library of articles and thought pieces. You can also check out our video and photo galleries on our website which capture the vibe of what is happening in our nursery and in our community. Take time to review the website in detail – there is a huge amount of information on there.

2. Create a checklist of what is important to you, split your criteria into ‘must haves’ and ‘nice to haves’.  

Alongside the obvious matters of curriculum and educational philosophy, it could be that certain facilities and outdoor play are really important, or that you are looking for a specific pupil to teacher ratio, or perhaps you will only consider a setting that has a published and committed approach to safeguarding, health and safety.  Stick to your criteria and keep referring back to it as you continue your research.

3. Visit all nurseries on your short list.  

At Huili Nursery, we host regular coffee mornings which include an introduction from the senior academic team, a tour of the classrooms and facilities and then opportunity for Q&A.  Places are usually in high demand, so you need to book early when we open for registration in October each year.  When you visit a nursery, think about the following:

· What does the general atmosphere feel like? Does it look and feel like the teachers and children are happy and content, have positive relationships and are engaging in meaningful learning?  In my experience, this is difficult to fake.

· At every touchpoint with adults working at the nursery, do you get treated with kindness and respect?  Do they give you the impression that they are in touch with small children and their families in general?

· This visit should not just be a tick box exercise –the intangible feeling that you get when you visit a setting may end up being one of the most important factors in making your final decision.  The interactions you have, the atmosphere you feel - the ‘gut feeling’ or instinct about a place is very difficult to define but trust it!

4. Plan for the future. 

This is important in a broad sense of which curriculum and path you would like your child to follow at primary school and beyond whether that be bilingual, public school or international curriculum. We understand that you may select a nursery that will increase your chances of getting into a top primary school, and that your primary school choice is important for getting into the preferred secondary school which then feeds into university destinations.  Whilst this is important, remember what your child needs here and now – my advice to most parents is that you do not need to worry about entry to Oxford, Cambridge and the Ivy Leagues just yet!

5. Know your own family values and those of your preferred nursery.

Most nurseries have a stated mission, vision and/or set of values – this research might present a good time to reflect on your own family values and see if they resonate and connect.  Make sure that your family support network is on board with the values and ethos of the nursery. For example, if the nursery encourages independence, do grandparents understand what this means, and will they support your child in achieving it, for example, by allowing them to walk and wear their own backpack rather than carrying them?

6. Check out the parent community.

Your children will make lifelong friends during their formative years – will there be a network of like-minded parents for you to do the same? Be clear with yourself about how much you are willing and able to contribute to that community. All nurseries and schools need support of their parents – I often describe the Friends of Huili, our parent network, as being ' the icing on the cake’.  The Friends of Huili hold many community events during the year that are also open to the public, keep your eye out on our WeChat for details.  Try to attend – not only will you get a feel for the community but you might also get a chance to speak to some current parents and get their candid view about their family experience of being at Huili.

7. Ensure you know and understand the educational ethos on offer. 

Ensure you know and understand the educational ethos on offer. Early years education is much more complex than I could ever have imagined!  I thought that children just played all day (which sometimes they do – what do we mean by play and can you learn whilst playing?).  After you have done your research and read some of the very useful insights published by the Huili Nursery team, please do ask if you still have questions.  I often do – after all, we encourage curiosity and lifelong learning! 

8. Talk to your network of family, friends and colleagues.

How to select your child’s nursery and primary school is one of the most widely talked about topics amongst parents of certain aged children.  Everyone has an opinion!  Listen to them but ultimately do your own research, trust your own instincts and make your own decisions.

Once you have done your research and submitted your application, you will hopefully be invited to a family interview, or as we call it at Huili Nursery, a ‘getting to know you’ session. Where competition for places is high, you do need to be prepared for this but if you have done thorough research in the early stages, you will be in a good position to talk knowledgably, passionately and with conviction about why you would like to join Huili Nursery.  In my experience, it usually shines through any nerves when a family attends a session well prepared and genuinely excited about the opportunity to join us. My tip for these sessions - be yourself and do not be afraid to ask questions, it is a two-way process of getting to know each other. 

I am lucky to spend a lot of time in the nursery and I can tell you that I am greeted at the entrance with a warm sense of responsibility from our guards through to a smiling, welcoming team on reception whereupon I walk into the corridors to feel the industrious buzz of the place – the imagination, creativity and sheer enjoyment shine through. The intangible vibe at the nursery should be bottled and saved to revitalise our pupils as they get older, more serious, bogged down in exams and sometime lose sight of the joy of experiencing and discovering new things.  Naturally, I think that Huili Nursery is an incredibly special place for our youngest children but you should not just listen to me – do your research, pay us a visit and please do contact the admissions team with any questions you may have.